So last week I chatted about my upcoming honeymoon to Europe and how I enjoy preparing for travel through books; both fiction and non-fiction. Now, I’m going to chat about books set in France that I hope to read shortly or while I’m away.
These are the 5 books on my ‘must read’ list for travel to France.
1. Les Miserable’s by Victor Hugo: I started to read this fairly long classic over a month ago and I still haven’t finished the first volume! There are times I really get into it and then all of a sudden my favourite characters will disappear and the story takes another turn. I’ve been reading a few pages here and there in between other books. I partly wanted to read this one because of the movie coming out but I also wanted to read it because it’s set in France. Hopefully I can finish this one before my trip!
2. A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle: I love travel memoirs, and this one appears to be a classic in the genre. Originally published in the eighties, it tells the story of Peter’s move to a farmhouse in Provence with his wife.
3. A Room with a View by E.M Foster: Originally published in 1908, this story tells the tale of a young English girl who is wooed by two men while on a vacation in Italy. Sounds like a sweet story 🙂
4. A Sport and a Pastime by James Salter: I first saw this reviewed on the Tuesday Book Club and I really liked the sound of it. It’s about an affair between an American college student and a French girl.
5. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: This seems to be a sweet romance novel that I’ve read many, many positive reviews of.
If you have any favourite French-set books, feel free to make some suggestions. I still have spots on my Kindle for books to “pack.”
Top 10 Books to Read When You Travel to France